Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Options for enforcing parenting time in Massachusetts

In many child custody and visitation matters in Massachusetts, one parent will have the care and control of the child most of the time. The other parent, however, will generally be given court-ordered visitation. In other words, the other parent's legal visitation rights are backed by the authority and power of the court hearing the case.

Unfortunately, this is oftentimes not enough to persuade a parent to recognize that he or she must allow the child to visit with the other parent per the court's visitation order. Sometimes, a parent will flat out ignore visitation orders and deprive the other parent the right to see and have a relationship with the child. In other cases, the defiance is subtler in that there are a series of little violations of the order, oftentimes accompanied by a lot of seemingly plausible excuses.

Such a situation can be very frustrating for a parent who wants, and expects, to see his or her children and be involved in their lives. As such, they may recognize that they need to take legal steps in order to force the uncooperative parent into complying with the court's orders.

Generally speaking, a parent who is not getting the visits to which he or she is entitled, or who is otherwise a victim of the other parent's violation of the court's orders, will have to ask the court hearing the case to hold the other parent in contempt of court. The parent may initiate this process by filing the appropriate paperwork with the court, but he or she must be prepared to demonstrate that the other parent has indeed violated the court's visitation order and has done so without a valid excuse.

Judges have a lot of leeway to handle contempt cases, and so they may be able to ensure that a parent does indeed get the time with his or her child to which he or she is entitled. However, enforcing a parenting time order can be complicated for many reasons, which is why many Springfield residents turn to their family law attorneys for help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy