Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

January 2018 Archives

Who gets the engagement ring in a divorce?

An engagement ring is often the first physical symbol that a Massachusetts couple may share to demonstrate their intention to commit themselves together in marriage. Rings come in all shapes and sizes, sometimes bought from a store and sometimes shared in families as heirlooms. However, when a couple decides that their marriage is no longer workable and that they will need to divorce questions can arise regarding what will happen with the ring.

When does child support end in Massachusetts?

During the period of time that a child is considered a dependent of their parents they are, under the law, entitled to receive financial support for their maintenance and upbringing. Child support is derived from both parents with the noncustodial parent making payments to the custodial parent based upon an agreement or juridical order that dictates the amount and schedule that payments are to follow. Child support from one's parents may end at different points in a child's life and this post will examine some of those common events.

Federal law protects right of same sex couples to divorce

It has not been long in this country's history that same sex marriages have been recognized. For generations the legal union between two men or two women was prohibited by law. Couples in Massachusetts and through the rest of the nation who were unable to marry missed out on many of the benefits that heterosexual married couples were able to enjoy.

Why might guardianship of a child come to an end?

In the event that a Massachusetts' child does not receive the care and support that they require from their parents, either through the incapacity or death of those parents, the child may be appointed a guardian to see to their needs. A guardian has many responsibilities to the child that becomes their ward, including but not limited to ensuring that the child has food and shelter, is attending school, receives medical care and has their legal rights protected.

Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy