An Attorney Who Has Walked In Your Shoes

What can you do if your ex-spouse violates child support orders?

It can be frustrating bearing parental financial responsibilities alone despite the existence of a child support order. In some instances, some parents let their differences come between them and their obligation to support their child financially. However, for the affected parent, there are legal actions you may take to ensure that the court-ordered child support orders are enforced.

It is important to note that the court cannot enforce verbal child support agreements. They can only enforce written orders that they have approved. Below are some possible consequences that a parent may face if they neglect to make child support payments as ordered by a judge.

Income garnishment

Wage garnishment may be set up to recover what a parent owes soon after the judge signs off on such an order. It’s possible to have workers’ compensation or unemployment benefits garnished much like regular income.

Fines and possible jail time

The court may also impose a fine on the violating parent as a form of deterrence against future incidents. In addition, they may be held to be in contempt of court and could even face time in jail time depending on how often or significant the violation is.

Lien on a property such as cars or houses

lien may be placed on the defaulting parent’s property, such as their vehicle. This may open it up to being repossessed and sold to clear the outstanding child support due.

Suspension of licenses or passports

In addition to the above penalties, the defaulting parent may have their driver’s or professional licenses revoked. Their passport could also be invalidated, which would make it impossible for them to leave the country.

Understand what the law says

Protect your rights by learning more about what the law says about child support. It will help you navigate the process of getting the order enforced if your ex defaults in paying. Do not bear financial responsibilities alone post-divorce, especially if there is a viable child support order in place.