Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Massachusetts parents can be ordered to pay college expenses

Even when a Springfield, Massachusetts resident turns 18, they will likely still need a lot of assistance from their parents. After all, financial security rarely comes automatically to a person the minute they walk out of their parents' front door, particularly if they are planning on attending college. After all, college is expensive and continues to get pricier as the years go on.

Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines treat child support questions regarding children in college differently than younger children still within the age of minority. The big difference is that judges have a lot more discretion to order parents to support their children after the child reaches the age of majority and may elect not to order parents to pay for college at all.

When deciding whether to require unmarried parents to contribute to their child's college education, among other things, the court will consider how much income and assets each parent has available to chip in. The court will also consider whether the child could receive financial aid and will also assess the child's likelihood to succeed in college. Finally, the court will take in to account where the child is living while attending school.

The Guidelines cap the amount of college expenses a court can order to half the cost of attending a public university in Massachusetts at rates provided to state residents. The court can only override the cap if it appears a parent could clearly afford to do more.

While college is often an important or even necessary stop along a young adult's overall road to success, it is also a very significant investment for a parent. A parent who believes the other parent should contribute to college, or, for that matter, a parent who cannot afford all or even part of the costs of a college education, may need to review their options with a Massachusetts family law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy