An Attorney Who Has Walked In Your Shoes

Establish Paternity To Enforce You And Your Children’s Rights

Last updated on December 4, 2020

Establishing paternity is crucial for parents to enforce their rights to child custody, visitation and child support. Fathers of children born out of wedlock will not have visitation rights until they establish paternity; mothers will not have the right to child support.

I am Claudette-Jean Girard, the founding attorney of Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law. I can help you determine paternity so that you can enforce your rights as a parent. As a parent and grandparent myself, I understand the importance of creating a stable environment for your child. Establishing paternity can go a long way toward granting you and your children the stability you need.

How Do I Establish Paternity?

  • Voluntary Acknowledgements: When a woman gives birth to a child, the state of Massachusetts recognizes her as the child’s legal mother. But a man must determine his paternity to enforce his rights as a father. If both parents agree on the child’s father, they can establish paternity in the hospital by writing his name on the birth certificate. If the mother has already left the hospital, they can also sign a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Parentage.
  • Court orders: If both parents will not sign the document, one must file a Complaint to Establish Paternity with the court. The court will order a DNA test to determine the child’s biological father. Once the court determines paternity, the father can seek custody or visitation and the primary custodian can seek child support.

I can help you determine the best method for you. Then, I can handle the complex legal process so you can focus on parenting your child and living your everyday life.

Ask A Lawyer About Establishing Paternity

You can contact my law office in Springfield to learn more about enforcing your rights through paternity. I provide a compassionate, judgment-free environment where we can discuss your case openly. To schedule a consultation, call 877-622-6089, toll-free at 413-315-5518 or send me an email.