An Attorney Who Has Walked In Your Shoes

Your Legal Advocate In Child Relocation Cases

When one parent wants to move within the state of Massachusetts, or out of the state, it could impact your child custody and visitation arrangement. Even if you have primary physical custody of your child, if your moving plans will affect your current parenting schedule, you must petition the court for a modification of the existing arrangement.

Whether you are the one desiring to move, or you want to prevent your child from relocating, I can represent you. I am attorney Claudette-Jean Girard, and I provide legal guidance with empathy, understanding and compassion in Springfield, Massachusetts.

I know that legal matters are never fun, especially when your child is involved. Contact me for support and guidance during this challenging time. I offer free 30-minute consultations.

Western Massachusetts Attorney For Moving A Child

In Massachusetts, there are two standards for relocating with a child:

  • If the relocating parent has physical custody, he or she must prove that there is a real advantage offered by the move. Will this benefit the child? Do the benefits outweigh the fact that the child will not see the other parent as often?
  • If both parents share physical custody, it can be much more difficult for one parent to move away with the child. The parent wishing to relocate must prove there is a real advantage and that the move is in the best interest of the child.

It is important to have an experienced and respected attorney by your side during the process. A move can affect child support, travel expense, transportation, holiday, and vacation visits and visitation and custody. If the judge rules in the relocating parent’s favor, a modification to the parenting plan or to the existing custody arrangement may be granted.

If you or your ex-spouse is relocating, you need a lawyer. Call 877-622-6089 for a free consultation with a Springfield child relocation attorney. I will be your advocate and ally every step of the way.