Jump to Navigation
Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

Springfield Child Support Lawyer

Whether you are seeking child support for the first time, need to resolve unpaid child support, or want to change the amount of child support being ordered, I can help you understand your options.

I am attorney Claudette-Jean Girard. I have been through many of the same experiences you are going through right now. I understand both the interpersonal and the legal issues surrounding child support.

I have been divorced and remarried and have raised a blended family. Between being a lawyer and as a mother, I have dealt with most of the hardest issues with setting up, collecting and changing child support as circumstances changed.

I provide experienced, caring legal help to parents dealing with child support issues during, after or outside of divorce. Please contact me to arrange a free consultation.

Your Initial Child Support Order

For most people in Massachusetts, determining child support is a relatively simple matter of having the court apply the Massachusetts child support formula.

The court will look at both parents' income and how much time you each will be spending with your child, then use the child support guidelines to determine how much child support is to be paid and to whom.

There are exceptions to the formula, and I can examine your situation and determine if any exceptions apply to you.

Changing Your Child Support Amount

As your circumstances change, your child support amount may change, too. If you change jobs, lose a job, move or encounter new expenses for your children, you may need a child support modification. I can help you go back to the probate and family court to ask for a change in your child support order.

Child Support Enforcement

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue collects child support payments in most payments, using payroll deductions to collect child support from the paying parent and sending a check to the receiving parent. In such cases, if the correct amount of child support is unpaid the Department of Revenue will take action to collect it.

In other cases, parents arrange for the paying parent to pay the other directly. If your child support is supposed to be paid directly, I can help you enforce your order and collect any unpaid child support that you are owed.

Have You Been Arrested or Lost Your License Due to Unpaid Child Support?

Despite the hype, most parents who get behind on child support aren't "deadbeats."

If you can't pay your back child support now, I may be able to:

  • Negotiate with the Department of Revenue for a payment plan or settlement.
  • Seek a change in the amount you pay
  • represent you if you've been arrested or lost your driver's or professional license because of a child support arrearage.

For a free initial consultation about child support, contact me. I offer weekday, evening and weekend appointments  at a location convenient to you.

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Areas We Serve
Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street,Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103
Springfield Law Office Map

Phone: 413-315-5518
Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Fax: 413-886-0220
Contact the firm

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
P.O. Box 278
Monson, MA 01057
Get Directions

Lead Counsel Rated | LC