Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Child Custody Archives

Representation in high conflict custody situations

There is a lot of focus these days in the world of family law on the importance of parents putting aside at least some of their differences for the sake of their children and agreeing on a parenting plan. This is thought to be best for the well-being of the children, and, quite frankly, it also saves parents a lot of time and stress as well.

When can I ask for a change in child custody?

Even when both parents agreed at the outset, the reality is that child custody orders in Massachusetts are subject to be changed. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since the flexibility gives judges and parents the opportunity to make adjustments when a child's situation changes.

The difference between parenting coordinators and "GAL"s

A previous post here discussed the role of a guardian ad litem, or "GAL" for short. A GAL may be an important part of a Massachusetts child custody or visitation case. However, a GAL is not the only third party who may be involved in a custody case.

What is a guardian ad litem?

Since this Springfield, Massachusetts, blog has discussed guardianships and how they can help families protect their beloved children in difficult circumstances, we felt like it was important to make a distinction between a guardian ad litem and a straight-up guardian, as both terms may come up in Massachusetts child custody cases.

Child custody matters may come to light during the holidays

When the partners to a Massachusetts married couple end their relationship there can be a host of legal matters they must sort out. Particularly if the partners share children will they have to establish custodial, visitation and support matters before their affiliation is officially severed through divorce. Parents in Massachusetts can share the legal and physical custody of their kids or their courts may establish sole custody arrangements if they serve the best interests of the children.

Parenting time interference is a serious family law issue

Not all couples who marry and have children end up living their lives together until death parts them. Rather, a number of Massachusetts families undergo transitions from shared households into separate households as the parents go through divorces and bring their unions to their ends. When parents separate or otherwise end their relationships it is often necessary for them to create a custodial parenting plan or to have a court draft an order addressing such issues for the benefit of their parents' shared children.

Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy