Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Does Massachusetts recognize legal separation?

Unlike many other states, Massachusetts has no formal process for legal separation. If a married couple wants to have a formal breakup, then their option is, generally speaking, to obtain a divorce.

Otherwise, a couple who wishes to separate, but still remain married, may be left with sorting out their financial affairs and even their child custody and support issues themselves. This is not always an ideal situation, but people often have moral, financial and legal or even emotional reasons for remaining married even if they choose to live apart.

Massachusetts does have a limited type of cause of action called separate support. Someone who asks for separate support must allege that their spouse has not provided support as he or she should and the couple either is living apart or would have good grounds to do so.

The reason separate support is a limited cause of action is that a person can use it primarily to obtain orders regarding custody, parenting time and child support. This type of case can also be used to establish alimony, and in the right circumstances it can even be used to compel a person to turn the deed to the family home. However, it may be quite difficult to use this type of request to divide other marital property or to determine who will pay the family's debts.

As mentioned, there are a lot of good reasons why a person may wish to take the route of separate support as opposed to an outright divorce. Those who feel like this option may be right for their situation should speak to an experienced family law attorney about the matter.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy