Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Can I relocate out of state with my child?

Moving can be a big upheaval in the life of a Springfield family. Even when a family moves together with both parents supporting each other as they pick up their lives and plant new roots in an unfamiliar place, the changes that naturally happen from such an event can cause challenges for adults and children alike. When a parent plans to relocate with their child and such a move could upset the custodial arrangement they have with the child's other parent, the process can be much harder.

Generally a parent who wants to move out of state with their child must first seek the permission of the child's other parent. If the parents agree that the move serves the child's best interests and they can continue to co-parent despite the relocation then securing necessary changes to a child custody and visitation plan may be relatively straightforward. Unfortunately, though, not all noncustodial parents support the relocation of their children and will not give such permission.

In such an event a parent may seek the permission of the courts to secure the power to relocate with their child. A court will weigh the evidence provided by the parents regarding why the move will or will not be beneficial for the child and in the end will decide if the parent may make the relocation happen. Parents who foresee moves in their futures may wish to begin investigating the legal process sooner rather than later so as not to run into avoidable complications as they approach their anticipated relocation dates.

Relocation can be hard on any child, especially those who have to split their time between the households of their divorced or separated parents. To ease the process for everyone involved it can be helpful for parents to understand their legal and custodial rights before they jump into the process of relocating their children out of Massachusetts by consulting with family law attorneys.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy