Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Child support enforcement options in Massachusetts

When a child is subject to a custody agreement or order, he or she may spend much of the time in the household of one parent. In such arrangements, that parent with whom the child primarily lives is considered the 'custodial parent' of the child, and the other parent, who may have visitation rights with the child is considered the 'noncustodial parent.' Noncustodial parents are often required to pay child support to help maintain their children's livelihoods, as they do not provide day-to-day care for them due to the custodial situation.

When noncustodial parents stay current on their support payments children generally have sufficient financial support to meet their needs. However, when noncustodial parents fall behind on their payments, their children can suffer and want for certain basic requirements. As such, the state of Massachusetts may take certain enforcement actions to ensure that children receive the monetary support they need.

Enforcement efforts can include sending noncustodial parents notices of their obligations to pay child support. If the notices go unheeded, then noncustodial parents can see their wages garnished so that the sums removed from their paychecks are provided to their children. When a child support deficiency is large, then the garnishment may be increased by 25 percent to begin fulfilling the support deficit.

The state may use other financial devices to compel parents to pay child support. It may draw from a parent's tax returns to pay off child support or it may place a lien on a parent's property for the same ends. Parents may see certain rights restricted, such as the right to get a passport, if their child support obligations are not up-to-date.

When custodial parents struggle to have their children's noncustodial parents stay current on child support, the situation can be more than frustrating. It can put children in a precarious financial position. Many custodial parents seek the support of family law attorneys to help them enforce their children's support orders.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy