Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Does Massachusetts child support automatically end at 18?

Most parents in Massachusetts can tell you that taking care of a child is a life-long commitment. While, for most purposes, society treats people as adults when they turn 18-years-old, this does not always mean they can be completely independent at that point. This may be especially true in coming years as educational expectations continue to climb and undergraduate degrees become more and more expensive. When parents have ended their relationship with each other prior to a child's 18th birthday, there may be questions with regard to whether a non-custodial parent is to continue ordered child support payments once the child turns 18.

According to Massachusetts law, family courts can continue child support orders beyond the age of 18 in certain circumstances. For example, a court could determine that a child under 21 years of age requires further support if he or she is residing with a parent and is still dependent upon that parent for maintenance. The court can also make stipulations in such an order regarding the child's education as well.

Further, even children older than 21 may still be subject to support orders in Massachusetts under certain circumstances. The law provides that a court may order support to be paid for a child under 23-years-old who is living with a parent and is dependent on that parent because the child is enrolled in an educational program, as long as it is not meant to lead to something beyond an undergraduate degree. The court can also continue to order a parent to provide health insurance for such a child.

Parents should also be aware that if there are delinquent child support payments, these are likely still due and owing even after a child has turned 18, 21, or 23. Parents may wish to consider filing a modification of child support if they believe the current order is not reflective of the current legal situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy