Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Actions to take against parent who owes child support

When co-parenting a child from separate households, it can definitely be a challenge. Coordinating schedules, long-term planning and a child's activities and after-school expenses can become a whirlwind for even the most organized parent. Somewhere in all of this, a primary custodial parent often receives child support from the child's other parent. However, occasionally, child support payments can become delinquent.

Whether or not the parent is just a few or many payments behind, this is unlawful under the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984. Court-ordered child support payments need to be received by the custodial parent by a certain time frame or the payee parent could face consequences. Actions that may be taken by the parent who has not received court-ordered child support vary. Actions taken by the court in response to unpaid child support payments could be as drastic as jail time.

However, most cases do not have such harsh punishments for the late-paying parent. Their wages could be garnished, tax funds could be withheld and their drivers license could even be revoked. These are all punishments that could be administered if a parent is consistently late with their child support payments. The court can take these steps at the request of the receiving parent if child support payments are in arrears.

A simple discussion could bring the delinquent parent's child support payments into current status. However, if the parents have had this discussion and there has been no change in payment status, many parents need resolution. It is not in a child's best interest to fail to receive the financial support they need. Court-ordered child support payments are a legally binding contract as outlined by the court of Massachusetts.

Source: FindLaw, "Enforcement of Child Support: FAQ's," Accessed September 11, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy