Jump to Navigation
Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

Enforcement of a MA child support order is possible

For those, who have an existing child custody arrangement, they understand the significance of the arrangement. They also know how judiciously the Massachusetts family court carefully selected the arrangement to fit the best needs of their children, amongst other factors. As a parent, their number one priority is ensuring that the needs of their child are met. This is why it can be frustrating when a court-ordered child support order is either no longer functioning properly or the child's other parent is not holding up their end of the agreement.

When discussing child support orders, they are entirely enforceable. This is because this is a legal document that is some-what in-flexible once it has been determined by the court. It does not allow for a change in factors or lifestyle changes. If a parent is unable to make the court-ordered child support payment amount, they could be forced to pay the amount originally requested by the court.

This is done in a variety of ways. Nonetheless, this process cannot begin unless the parent not receiving the child support payments does not make that clear to the Massachusetts family court.

Some parents think that it may be beneficial to speak with the non-contributing parent directly. Often, this is not enough. Getting a delinquent child support payer's activity on the record is a good way to set a precedent for future court proceeding -- if it gets that far.

Child support enforcement can be a tricky subject. A parent does not want to burn any bridges with the parent making the payments. Patience for delinquent payments of child support can run out quickly.

Since money can be key to a child's success, the parent ordered to pay the child support can be held in contempt of court, if these payments are not made. However, this process all starts with the parent who is not receiving the child support payments by making it known to the court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog's Feed Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street,Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103
Springfield Law Office Map

Phone: 413-315-5518
Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Fax: 413-886-0220
Contact the firm

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
P.O. Box 278
Monson, MA 01057
Get Directions

Lead Counsel Rated | LC