Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

The forms needed for Massachusetts no-fault divorce

Massachusetts residents going through divorce likely have a lot on their minds. There are many components to every divorce and not all of them are easy to comprehend. For many, it can help to break down each of these components and attempt to understand the basic underpinnings of each. Attorneys may be available to assist with the process. For some, too, it can help to think about the very first steps that spouses must take in order to initiate divorce.

In order to begin the divorce process, there are a number of forms that couples must file. For a no-fault divorce, these include a joint petition signed by both parties or their attorneys. This is known as form CJD 101A. Next, a couple must file a joint affidavit of irretrievable breakdown, known as the Form Affidavit of Irretrievable Breakdown. A certified copy of the civil marriage certificate must be provided, along with a notarized separation agreement signed by both parties. There is also the Certificate of Absolute Divorce for the Registry of Vital Records, along with financial statements and applicable schedules.

Couples with children may have to provide addition forms. These include the affidavit of care and custody, child support guideline worksheet, and the parent education certificate.

As becomes apparent, there are many forms a couple must provide before the divorce proceedings can even begin. Thankfully, family law attorneys can help guide couples through every step of the process. From the initial filings to the finalizations, attorneys can be a valuable asset for any couple. With everything carefully planned and followed through, it is often possible to come to an acceptable resolution for both of the parties involved.

Source: Massachusetts Court System, "What forms do I file for divorce?," accessed on March 22, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy