Jump to Navigation
Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

How to seek a child support modification in Massachusetts

Child support is an important concern for many families and both parents paying child support and parents receiving child support may have child support concerns. Both the paying parent and the recipient parent can request a child support modification. Modification requests may ask for an increase or decrease in child support or may request a change to medical support for the child.

Child support modifications may be granted in certain situations, including when a parent's income changes or when a parent's health care coverage changes. Income changes can include when a parent loses a job, the parent's income significantly changes or in certain other situations when the parent's income has changed.

Parents must make a request to change a child support order from the court because only the court can change a child support order. Child support determinations are based on Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines. The court considers a number of factors when determining child support such as the income of both parents, the ability of both parents to earn an income, the number of children and ages of the children and the health care coverage costs for the children.

There are different methods parents may follow to request a child support modification depending on the unique circumstances of their situation so it can be helpful for parents in Massachusetts to be familiar with how child support is determined and modified. The family law legal process is available to help families negotiate the growth and changes of their families, while always caring for the best interests of the children.

Source: Mass.gov, "How to Make Changes to Your Court Order," Accessed Jan. 13, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog's Feed Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street,Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103
Springfield Law Office Map

Phone: 413-315-5518
Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Fax: 413-886-0220
Contact the firm

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
P.O. Box 278
Monson, MA 01057
Get Directions

Lead Counsel Rated | LC