Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Putting an end to a Massachusetts child support order -- Part II

In Massachusetts or in any other part of the country, a child support order remains valid for a certain period of time. In most cases, the child support order is stopped when the child becomes an adult. In an earlier post, some of the conditions that cause the child support order to stop were discussed. For instance, one such condition is when the child starts living with the parent who is paying the child support.

There are other situations that will also end the child support order. For example, when the ex-spouses again start living together under the same roof, the child support order will be stopped. In addition, when the child becomes financially independent, the child support is stopped. If the parents get back together and none of them informs the court, the child support will be stopped.

What will happen? The answer is nothing. The child support department will still collect the payments. Hence, it is important to inform the court that the child support order should be stopped. Nonetheless, one needs to ensure that you have really decided to stay together and that the child support should end.

If the parents decide that they are not going to be together, the court will decide. Sometimes, the parents may get back together, but continue to live separately. It is very important to think through the matter if the parents do not live together. Should child support be stopped as a result?

If the parents start living together, the court may put an end to child support. But, how far back will it go? It will go back to the day the child support modification is served. Those are complex issues and a person may find the support of a Massachusetts attorney extremely valuable in such a case.

Source:, "Ending a child support order," accessed on Aug. 22, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy