Jump to Navigation
Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

Modifying alimony agreements in Massachusetts

Massachusetts residents who are planning to divorce often worry about the amount of alimony, also known as spousal support, that they might have to pay from their total income per month. In some cases, either spouse who has been ordered by the court to pay alimony will strive to make some major changes to the alimony agreement in order to make the payments more easily.

In order to modify an alimony order, the spouse who is petitioning the court for a change in the alimony agreement needs to prove that there has been a significant change in the situations of the ex-spouses. Alimony is stopped completely if the former ex-spouse who has been receiving alimony payments re-marries. Additionally, when a former spouse who previously received alimony dies, alimony will be stopped by the court upon petition.

The laws relating to alimony have changed considerably in Massachusetts since 2012. Any individual who was obligated to pay for spousal support under the old law also has the legal right to petition the court for a change in the alimony agreement because the old law dictated that the spouse must continue paying alimony for a longer time period.

A nominal application fee needs to be filed, according to the state law, in order to file a petition for alimony modification. In some cases, the ex-spouses may file for the alimony modification jointly. The filing fees for such modification petitions are $115 for individual filings and $120 for a joint filing. Once the court has been petitioned, it will notify the ex-spouses regarding the petition for alimony modification. The defendant in such petitions has the right to object or respond within 20 days. Prompt filings, as well as prompt replies, become crucial in such legal petitions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog's Feed Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street,Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103
Springfield Law Office Map

Phone: 413-315-5518
Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Fax: 413-886-0220
Contact the firm

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
P.O. Box 278
Monson, MA 01057
Get Directions

Lead Counsel Rated | LC