Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

The right information can help child support recipients

Child custody and child support are often the most contentious issues for divorcing spouses. Child support is often an ongoing dispute that continues until the children become adults. For unwed parents, child support can be an even thornier because support orders for a mother or father who is not married to the custodial parent can be tough to enforce. Massachusetts, however, has stringent laws against delinquent biological parents who fail to pay their support.

If a custodial parent is in dire need of child support, the Massachusetts Department of Revenue can help to have the child support order enforced in order to obtain payment. The custodial parent simply goes to court and requests enforcement. Once a court issues orders for child support payment, the custodial parent can contact the Department of Revenue. The department then contacts the non-custodial parent's employer to have the requisite child support funds deducted from the paycheck.

The Department of Revenue may also be able to send weekly updates and instructions for child support payments in cases where the non-custodial parent is self-employed. In addition, the custodial parent may be granted access to all of the records about the non-custodial parent's support payment history.

If the custodial parent receives child support payments directly from the non-custodial parent, the Department of Revenue will have no record of those payments. Unfortunately, this could lead to enforcement actions against the non-custodial parent. In addition, if the department sends the custodial parent any excess child support payment funds, the custodial parent is responsible for informing the Department of Revenue. In those cases, adjustments can be made for future payments to account for the difference already paid. A non-custodial parent who refuses to pay child support also may have to pay penalties later in lieu of interest for the insufficient payments.

Source:, "Information for Parents Who Receive Child Support," accessed on Jan. 21, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy