Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Enforce or modify child support in Springfield, Massachusetts

Springfield, Massachusetts, parents know the many expenses incurred when raising a child. Education, healthcare and everyday expenses are just a few of these expenses which often require a fair amount of money and both parents are responsible for ensuring that their child has a stable and comfortable life. This responsibility is somewhat altered for parents who are separated. Those children often rely on court-ordered child support from the non-custodial parent.

In Massachusetts, a court issues an order instructing the non-custodial parent to pay child support to the custodial parent for the various expenses related to the child's upbringing. The amount of child support is derived from predefined guidelines and delinquency is considered a serious offense. Therefore, it is always a wise decision on both parents' parts to understand how child support enforcement works and if modification of child support is available according to state statutes.

One of our earlier posts discussed the process of child support enforcement in Massachusetts. In the event of delinquency a parent may approach the state Department of Revenue, which in turn uses a number of methods for collecting back child support payments. However, the process is often complicated primarily because many custodial and non-custodial parents are unaware of child support laws. Therefore, parents are often advised to approach a lawyer to help them enforce or change a child support order.

Another critical area is child support modification, which was also discussed in an earlier post. A modification is usually possible when a custodial or non-custodial parent is able to convince the judge that significant changes in his or her life circumstances demand a change in the child support amount. The change can either be a decrease or an increase, depending on those circumstances. However, even when seeking modification, parents need to understand the applicable laws and a lawyer's help can be the difference between success or failure.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy