Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
Local 413-315-5518
Toll Free 877-622-6089

Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

View our practice areas

Spousal support modifications after divorce in Massachusetts

Though the orders issued as a result of a divorce (such as child support and spousal support) are mandatory orders, there are situations in which a person in Massachusetts can seek modifications. It can be difficult in some cases to successfully modify orders like spousal support, though some give it their time and effort, hoping for the best outcome. One example can be found in the ex-wife of a County Supervisor in another state. For this woman, the request for a modification in spousal support arrangements came years after the divorce was final.

In some instances, life changes that happen after a divorce can be among the reasons an alteration in spousal support is requested. In addition, a former spouse may request a change if the other party is failing to pay the spousal support ordered by the court. This was the case in the recent County Supervisor matter, as the ex-wife alleges that previous husband failed to meet support obligations.

In that case, the ex-wife of the County Supervisor asserted that, among other things, he had failed to pay at least portions of the $8,000 per month required on his salary of just over $12,000 per month. The amount listed was the total amount to be paid including payments on a second mortgage, health insurance, spousal support and taxes. The supervisor indicated to the court that the payments were a struggle.

Like those involved in a post-divorce request for a modification of payments in our state, the matter in this case was heard before a local court. As the former couple awaited a decision by the court, they reportedly worked to come to a resolution together. Though the final decision has yet to be made, it appears that this couple was able to agree on how much the ex-husband could pay and that the wife could afford to accept. Massachusetts couples going through and having gone through the divorce process could find the similar success when if they were to seek the appropriate support, and find an equitable, feasible resolution.

Source:, "Monterey County supervisor's ex-wife retracts allegations he forged her signature on loan papers," Jim Johnson, Sept. 11, 2012

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Contact Us! This Firm Accepts Credit Cards

Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street, Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103

Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Phone: 413-315-5518
Springfield Law Office Map

Contact our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy