Jump to Navigation
Family Law Attorney

I provide experienced legal guidance in family law, divorce and special education law. I represent parents and families throughout western Massachusetts.

Western Massachusetts Special Education Law Lawyer

You want the best education for your child, and your child has a right to free, appropriate public education. For kids with special needs, that means that the school must provide any support services your child needs in order to ensure they receive that education.

I am attorney Claudette-Jean Girard, and I provide experienced, caring legal help for parents and kids in special education law. I am qualified both as a special education law advocate and as a courtroom representative, and I can help.

Contact my law office in Monson to arrange a free consultation. I represent kids and families throughout western Massachusetts, and I can meet with you at a location convenient to you.

A Dedicated Special Education Law Attorney Who Has "Been There"

My son Benjamin has a disability and requires special education services. When he started school, I had to navigate the system from the ground up. It wasn't easy to enforce his rights and obtain the educational support services he needed.

As a special education lawyer, I have made it my mission to provide dedicated legal help, care and advocacy for my clients as they work through many of the same issues Benjamin and I did.

Who Qualifies for Special Education Services?

Many physical, mental and developmental conditions qualify your child for special ed services. Your child's school is required to develop either an individualized education plan (IEP) or a 504 plan if your child has:

  • Specific learning disabilities such as dyslexia
  • Down Syndrome
  • Autism spectrum disorders, such as Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS and executive function disorders
  • Physical disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy, hearing or vision impairments and many others
  • ADD or ADHD
  • Other disabilities

An IEP is intended to give your child access to the general curriculum and provide - without charge - any specialized instruction services your child may need in order to succeed in school.

How I Can Help Your Child Get the Free and Appropriate Education He or She Has a Right To

Working either as your child's advocate in the school system or as your legal representative in administrative or court hearings, I can help you develop and implement an appropriate IEP or 504 plan. Also, if your child already has an IEP or 504 plan but is still not succeeding in school, I can help you get the plan reevaluated and advocate for better services.

Signs that You May Need to Have Your Child's IEP Reevaluated

If your child has a disability, he or she may need a 504 plan or IEP and special instructional services.

That 504 plan or IEP should be reevaluated if your child:

  • is getting poor or failing grades
  • receives frequent discipline
  • is sent to detention or suspended because of behavior issues
  • doesn't want to go to school

Any of these could be signals that your child is not getting appropriate services.

For a free consultation about special education law, contact me. I offer weekday, evening and weekend appointments at a location convenient to you.

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Areas We Serve
Office Location

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
1380 Main Street,Suite 302
Springfield, MA 01103
Springfield Law Office Map

Phone: 413-315-5518
Toll Free: 877-622-6089
Fax: 413-886-0220
Contact the firm

Claudette-Jean Girard, Attorney at Law
P.O. Box 278
Monson, MA 01057
Get Directions

Lead Counsel Rated | LC